Unknown OS type hvm
After fresh installation of Virtual Machine Manager, when I created a new VM it displayed this error unknown os type.
This was because all qemu packages were not installed. So I installed all qemu packages.
yum install qemu*
zypper install qemu*
It should have installed all the packages, but somehow it didn’t installed qemu-kvm, due to which it displayed this error while creating new VM.
Cannot check QEMU binary /usr/bin/qemu-kvm: No such file or directory
It was all because qemu-kvm was not installed.
- Start yast.
- Choose Virtualization -> Install Hypervisor and Tools.
- Select KVM and confirm with Accept.
- Confirm to the list of packages that is to be installed with Install.
Agree to set up a network bridge by clicking Yes.
- It is recommended to use a bridge on a VM Host Server (virtual machine host).
- If you prefer to manually configure a different network setup, you can safely skip this step by clicking No.
After the setup has been finished, reboot the machine as YaST suggests. Alternatively, load the required kernel modules manually and start libvirtd to avoid a reboot.
Enable kvm module
modprobe kvm-intel // on Intel machines only
modprobe kvm-amd // on AMD machines only
Enable vhost-net module